Sunday 16 February 2014

Atomic Affection

We got out for a little demo action this week. Best part, many of the skis were the 2014/15 models! I got to try out a number of skis and look forward to giving you my insights into them.

One of the skis that I had the chance to ride and loved was the Atomic Affinity Pure. What a great ski! First a few of the specifics – I rode the 154cm ski, with the dimensions of 122 tip, 79 underfoot, and 101 tail. While this ski is in the Atomic lineup currently, they have updated the graphics of the ski for the 2014/15 ski year. I really enjoy the new colouring and details. I like the multiple colours, they were bright without being overwhelming.

This ski was great in so many ways. The first word the comes to mind in describing this ski as that it was “fun”. I fully enjoyed riding this ski. It was super responsive, I only had to put minimal effort into the turn to have it quickly respond and carve a wonderful turn. I was skiing mainly groomers that day and the ski held its edge really well on all snow - corduroy, ice, hard pack. I never hesitated for a moment on this ski. A great endorsement.
While I didn't have the chance to take the ski into choppier snow, I would have loved the opportunity to see how it responded. But based on its light weight and it's overall abilities I'm sure it would stand up well.

I would fully recommend this ski to anyone looking for a good all mountain ski. The Pure is a ski that could easily be skied by an intermediate skier, but an advanced skier would also enjoy it. Check it out for sure if you are looking for something new at the start of next season.

I also took the Atomic Elysian out for a spin even if the conditions were not optimal for this ski. The details: 159cm length; 126tip, 95 underfoot, 115 tail. The graphics are good, colourful with all the basic colours to make it work well with most bindings, boots, jackets, etc.

The Elysian was a light weight ski that handled well considering the snow conditions – as I said I was on groomers that day. This ski is really meant to be skied in more fluffier areas. The Elysian handled well on the run considering where its strength lie - powder. It was responsive if I took it for long wide turns, allowing the ski to do nice gentle turns. The Elysian has a turn radius of 17.1m, so its meant to do nice sweeping turns. I would love to get this ski out into a wide open bowl or onto a run with fresh powder. I can only imagine how much fun this ski would be when taken into its optimal terrain. Something I plan to do if Mother Nature agrees and I can get my hands on this ski again.

You should consider this ski if you already have a good all mountain ski and are looking to add a all-mountain powder ski to your options. It would be a very fun ski to have as an option.



No comments:

Post a Comment