Monday 10 March 2014

Super fast Salomon W-24

Can you believe I still have skis to talk about from my demo day? Well I do. I'm such a lucky girl to have skied so many skis that day.

I want to tell you about a Salomon ski to rode that day. It's the Salomon W-24. This is a new ski to the Salomon lineup for the 2014/15 year. This ski is listed as an All Mountain Front side ski. It has a carve rocker and a semi-twin tip on a wood core. The W-24 comes in a few lengths, I skied the 160cm ski. Its curves are 120.2 tip, 71 underfoot, and a 101 tail.

The graphics of this new ski are pretty basic – black background with just a hint of colour on the tip and tail.  Even though I love colour, the graphic somehow really work. It makes the ski look very sleek and sexy. Not a bad descriptive in my world.

I quiet enjoyed this ski – once I let it do its thing. When I first took it out, I tried to ski it slowly. Not a good idea. When moving at a slower speed I found the ski sluggish, hard to edge and turn. Needless to say I was a little unhappy. Then I stopped to considered the type of ski I was on and decided to let the ski run a bit and thus picked up some speed. When I did this the W-24 came alive! At a faster pace the ski carved wonderful turns. I simply had to put in a bit of effort and the ski carved a nicely shaped turn. It did medium sized turns with ease, as well as bigger radius turns. At these faster speeds the W-24 became very responsive. There really was not much effort needed to get the ski to make the turns I was asking of it.  Simply enjoyable and energizing.  

I only had the chance to ride the W-24 on groomers, so I'm not sure how it would react in the choppier stuff. With it's need for a faster pace it might be a tougher ski to ride in these areas.  But until I take it out again in these areas, I really can't say for sure.  And I will be taking this ski out again.  So, if you are a mainly groomer kinda girl that is looking for speed and responsiveness in a ski, than the W-24 might just be the perfect ski for you.

The Goods...
-sleek graphics
-fun, fast ski
-great turns at a fast pace
-responsive
-great on groomers
-intermediate to advanced skier who likes to go fast

The Not-So-Goods...
-sluggish at a slower speed
-not the best ski for a slower skier


No comments:

Post a Comment