Monday 24 March 2014

Seeing the sights in Smith I/O goggles

Ignitor Mirror lens
I had the chance to take a pair of Smith I/O goggles out for a test run a few times recently. These goggles come in a variety of looks. The ones I was testing our were the Charcoal Batik - black and white band with mainly black detailing. These are a frameless goggle that have a quick release lens system to allow for efficient changing of lenses. They even come with two pairs of lenses, so you can buy a lenses for different sun conditions. You can always buy a few more pairs if you want really specific lenses for different light, or if you sadly scratch a lens.

Smith considers the I/O to be a medium fit goggle. I found them a bit big on my face. They sat nicely against my helmet, they are advertised as being helmet compatible. But I found that they sat low on my checks and over my nose. They weren't so low that it made breathing annoying, just low enough to notice the fit. I did adjust to the fit and was less bothered by it as time went by, but they were big. But there is a bonus to the large size, they have an amazing field of view. With the frameless design and the large size, I could see everything. There was no interference from the goggle in my field of view. I really enjoyed this aspect of the I/O.

Red Sensor Mirror lens
One thing I did note about this goggle was how cold my face got at one point. We were riding the chair with a strong wind blowing into our faces. With the frameless design there is a lot more venting and this meant that the wind was blowing right into and through the goggle. Not much fun. While I can say I didn't enjoy the goggle at this moment, it's also not an issue I had when skiing. I never left that they were windy or cold when I was moving. Like I said, the only time I had this issue was when we had a strong head wind. But it is something to note and consider.

During my test days with the I/O I had the opportunity to give two lenses a preview. I was lucky enough to test out the Red Sensor Mirror lens and the Ignitor Mirror lens. Both were great lenses.
The Red Sensor Mirror is a lens for all light conditions that has a strength in falter lights. As the name implies there is a rose tint to the goggle. As with all rose tints, you notice it a lot when you first put them on, but adjust to the colour tint in no time. I was wearing these lenses just the other day when we ran the range of sun. Bright sun, to overcast, to snowing. In all situations I found that I had fairly good definition. And I can tell you that the light was quite flat when the sun left and the snow started. I really enjoyed this lens and the definition it gave me. A good option to have in your pocket.

The other lens I tested was the Ignitor Mirror. This lens is meant to be a bit more of a broad spectrum lens. Smith states that it enhances contrast and depth perception. I tested this lens when there was variable lighting, but nothing too flat. Overall, I really enjoyed this lens and the visibility that it gave me. I felt that I had good definition and was able to easily visualize the terrain I was skiing.

My final take on the Smith I/O is that it's a great goggle option. If you have a larger face or enjoy larger goggles give this one a thought. There are a number of goggles in the I/O line so if you have a smaller face, but like what I've been mentioning, give the Smith I/OS a glance. Or if you want something even bigger than the I/O, take a look at the I/OX. Smith really has you covered with the I/O series. If you want to go for all the bells and whistles, take a look at the I/O Recon – I think I would find this one overwhelming...

The Goods:
-medium size
-great field of view
-helmet compatible
-come with two lenses
-quick release to make lens switches easy
-lifetime warranty

The Not-So-Goods:
-a bit big for my face size
-frameless set-up allowed for lots of air flow and a cold face in certain situations

No comments:

Post a Comment