Saturday 28 December 2013

Oakley Elevate Snow Goggle

Today I had the opportunity to test drive a new pair of Oakley Elevate Snow Goggles.  I tried them in polished white with the pink iridium (VR50) lens.  The weather today was over cast with decent light in the morning.  It got quite flat in the afternoon with light snow flurries.

At first I wasn't sure of the way these goggles fit with my helmet (Giro Sheer).  But after a minute or two I settled into them and quiet liked the way they fit.  They were not too tight across my face and nose. They also fit really well against my helmet.  None of the awful gapping between the top of the goggle and the helmet.  I have a small face, so I can find that goggles sit low on the bridge of my nose, but I didn't find that with these goggle.  They fit low enough to get proper coverage, but not so they sat uncomfortably.

The lens choice for todays light was great.  Like most people, I hate flat light! So any goggle that helps with this is amazing in my books. This lens made for very crisp visibility, with a great tint given to the wonderful terrain.  At the start of the day, I was skiing mainly short chutes that had trees around, so there was good definition to the hill.  But later in the day, I did head up to some higher stuff that is above the tree line.  This is one of those areas where the light can get really flat.  But, I have to say that I didn't even pause over the lighting when wearing this goggle with the pink iridium.  I think I hit one dip that I missed due to flat light.  The rest of the time I felt very confident in the visibility I had.  And like I said earlier, this was when the light had become flat and there was light snow.

Also, with this added weather and a more open hill, I had no issues with this goggle.  I pulled my face mask up a bit to cover my face and had no issues with fogging.  Again, I felt that my face was well covered, but never hindered in any way. Truth be told I kinda forgot that I had goggles on, I was that comfortable.  And I can be a very persnickety.


So, I would for sure consider these goggles if you are in the market for a new pair.  They work well for both men and women.  They come in a variety of colours, with a variety of lens colours.  You can buy extra lenses to give you options depending on lighting.  Seriously think about these ones if your in the market...  

2 comments:

  1. Oakley snow goggles come in a variety of shapes, colours and styles including the Canopy, Airbrake, Crowbar, Ambush, Twisted and 02 XL frame designs. Each feature unique characteristics to improve performance and durability for the wearer including specially cut double-vented lenses that reduce fogging. Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about Traverse Varia Ski goggles? They are good?

    ReplyDelete