Monday 9 December 2013

New boots! Salomon X MAX 110 W

Anyone who knows me, knows that I've been having boot issues for ages.  We've tried new boots and many different liners.  And while some have been a total loss, others have been a good band-aid.  I have had a few issues in my search for the right boot. First, I'm a total "princess and the pea" about my feet.  I want my boots to fit just right - tight in the heel, snug but not too snug, tight calf but also enough room for muscle movement, the right amount of flex, and the list goes on.  This is an issue when you have tiny feet (size 5ish).  This means I'm in a size 22 ski boot, when a size 21 would be better.  However, you wont find these easily.  Well you will, but in a junior boot.  But, I also have calfs like many women.  And these calfs are way to big for a junior boot.


 So it was with much excitement that I anticipated my new boots for this year.  The Salomon X MAX 110 W.  I picked this boot because of how customizable the shell is.  I'm still in a size 22, the smallest size we could get.  But so far so good.  We heat formed the shell and liner a few weeks back.  I like to do this tight.  I want to feel super secure in my boots, as in no foot movement when I'm powering a turn.  While this process can be less than fun, it sure pays off in foot stability.

These boots have a wide range of customizable areas on them. I'll start with the liner...  The liner has been created with women in mind.  It's has padding to help with that calf issue I mentioned.  Enough to help a leg/foot feel secure, but with enough shape to allow for proper flexion of the calf.  The liner itself has formable foam on the ankles, heels, and tongue.  This allows for a better fit, giving comfort but also allowing one to feel stable in the boot and able to power those turns.

The shell is the shining light in new boot technology though! Instead of just heating the foam liner, the whole shell goes into an oven.  This heats the whole upper, softening it to allow the entire top part of the boot to be custom fitted.  One of the reasons I went with this boot.  So the areas that usually cause me issues (width, instep, calf) actually stretch to the accommodate my specific foot.  This is amazing as all my past boots required so much extra work just to get to this point.  An added benefit to feeling secure in the boot and the liner, my feet are staying warmer - even without my boot heater (which I may still add).

I've only had the chance to ski these boots a few times.  Like all new boots, they are taking some time to break in, but I am also feeling very secure in them.  I have skied variable terrain (chop, groomers, etc) and have felt very good.  They have been very responsive.  My heels have stayed in place and I feel like I can really push and my feet don't move.  I haven't had to "crank" the boot on tightly.  I've been known to be one of those people that undo my boots on the lift, only to clip the buckles at the top again.  I'm not knocking this, I'm justing saying that these boots are fitting well enough that I feel secure without the discomfit of an overly tightened boot.  I've not had to undo these boots between runs.  In fact, the buckles over my upper foot have hardly been tightened - a positive for how these are fitting in the heel.  They have great room in the calf and have the perfect amount of flex.  I can apply pressure to the boots and they bend enough that I feel like they are doing what I want, but not so much that they feel squishy.

I'm starting to think I'm Goldilocks, this porridge is just right...

Overall, while still early I'm really enjoying these boots.  And trust me, I've skied boots once, to reach lunch time and never what to put them on my feet again.  So for me to feel happy and excited about my boots is truly a positive sign.  Give these boots a consideration for sure if you are in the market for new pair this year.   

No comments:

Post a Comment