Monday 28 April 2014

First Nordica is a First Belle

I really can't believe how many skis I've had the opportunity to test out this year. So many of the local reps have heard that I'm writing this blog and have been super generous with skis as a result.

Recently I had the chance to take my first pair of Nordica out for a spin – grabbing the First Belle. This is an all mountain ski that Nordica considers a great ski for intermediate to advanced skiers, be it on groomers or on the looser snow. I grabbed the 162cm ski, which has the following curves: 128, 88, 112. All this on a 13.5m turn radius.

I have to say that I would agree with Nordica on their take for this ski. I quiet enjoyed the First Belle. I put the ski through its paces on some fairly hard snow, including a smattering of icy patches. The First Belle gripped the ice remarkably well. There was no wash or sliding out and I felt very in control. The ski transitioned well from turn to turn, really quiet smoothly. There was no real pop at the end of the turn like you can experience on some skis, but this is not necessarily a bad thing. While I enjoy this little pop, not everyone does. And it doesn't affect your skiing to not have it.

Not only did the First Belle preform well on ice, but it cut through looser snow really well. It didn't chatter or bounce you too much while transitioning from harder pack to looser snow. All of these traits allowed me to feel very comfortable and in control of the ski.

The features of the First Belle come together to make for a solid ski, but one that I would also describe as predictable. I am not using this term poorly, just simply saying that this ski gives you exactly what you expect and want. Which are good thing. It just didn't offer up any surprises.

Predictable is also what I would use to describe the graphics of the First Belle. Nothing too exciting, a nice mix of a few shades of blue and brown, but also pretty basic. Again, there are many out there that will appreciate the graphics of this ski and like the subtlety of the colouring.

Overall, I would say that the First Belle is a great ski if you are looking for a good all mountain ski that will preform as desired and expected. It should be a solid ski for you if you go this direction.

The Goods...
-good edging on ice
-cuts through chop well
-predictable
-intermediate-advanced ski
-all mountain

The Not-So-Goods...
-predictable
-graphics are less than exciting
-no “pop” at the end of the turn



No comments:

Post a Comment